This is based on the Bitman Kitchen Matrix bean stew recipe.
Only done once, so this just records what we did ingredient-wise.
- 1 onion
- 6 gloves garlic
- olive oil (for sauteeing)
- 4 cups (1 carton) Kitchen Basics chicken broth
- 1 pound dry beans (mostly white+some fava+some pinto)
- 1.5 pound chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 strips bacon
- fresh thyme/sage/rosemary
- dry herbs & spices: Lots of thyme, coriander. Some (<1tsp cumin).
- 1/3 of 12oz jar tomatillo chicken drippings (homemade leftovers)
- 1 pound kale
- 2 zucchinis (grated in food processor)
- 4 carrots (grated in food processor)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Sautee onions and garlic
- Put everything in slow cooker. Leave on high for 6-8 hours.
We actually had the slow cooker on low for 4.5 hours, added the veggies, and cooked on high for another 4 hours. The chicken was completely disintegrated, so either it didn’t need to be cut up as much or it could have been put in later.