Source: Alya’s mom :~)
- 2.5 lbs stew meat (chuck, round, etc.), cubed (1" pieces or so)
- 1 med-lg onion, minced
- a large handful of prunes
- flavorful red juice (pomegranate, cherry, etc.)
- (optional) herbs/spices (bay leaf, cinnamon sticks, whole nutmeg, etc.)
- sugar (to taste; depends on how sour the juice is. For sweet juices, sugar isn’t needed)
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- oil for sauteing
- Sautee minced onion on med/med-low until softened.
- Preheat slow cooker on “high”.
- Add cubed beef to sauteed onion. Cook on high heat until all the liquid coming out of the beef has evaporated, 20-30 min.
- Transfer beef & onion mixture to slow cooker. Add enough juice to just cover the meat. Add all the flavorings (herbs/spices, sugar, salt, pepper).
- Cook for 2-3 hours on high, or longer on low if that’s more convenient.
- Taste the sauce for salt/pepper/sugar, and adjust as needed.