- Add salt to the shredded vegetables instead of into the batter. This helps draw out the moisture. The cheesecloth method works well.
- Since we were making lots of different types of latkes, we prepped the veggies and the liquid batter, and mixed them in batches right before cooking.
- Unless you’re going to cook the potatoes/apples right away, add some acid (e.g. lemon juice) to prevent them from turning funny colors.
- adding sage (excellent)
- adding basil (good)
- adding carrots (great)
- adding granny smith apples (great)
- cinnamon and similar spices are a good addition
- you can also add some sweetness (e.g. maple syrup)
- pakora style (great)
- replace flour with chickpea flour
- add Indian spices (tumeric, coriander, garam masala)
- serve with tamarind paste and apple sauce on the side if available
For the carrot and apple versions, doing about a 50-50 mix of potato/onion with carrot or apple worked well.