We used a combination of this recipe with the suggestions in the first review: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/sukhothai-pad-thai/detail.aspx
- chicken & lots of veggies instead of tofu
- did not use vinegar, radish, paprika
- used whole peanuts (it was easier)
- added extra lime juice and some lemon juice instead of the tamarind
- substituted some of the soy sauce with fish sauce
- we skipped the salt & sugar in step 3
I think that’s it… The reason we didn’t use tamarind was just that the supermarket didn’t have it.
We also tried this recipe (with modifications to make it vegetarian and extra veggies added). It seems like a good approach to cooking the noodles. Definitely dilute tamarind paste with some hot water to make it easier to mix in.