source recipe, much altered
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup finely ground flaxseed
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup apple sauce
- 2 Tbsp apple butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/3 cup dried cherries, chopped
- 1/2 granny smith apple, grated
- Other options: blueberries, coconut, raisins, etc.
- oats (raw)
- Preheat oven to 325F. (will try 350F next time)
- In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, mix wet ingredients and add-ins.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and stir until just combined; do not over-mix.
- Spoon into a cooking-sprayed or nonstick muffin pan. Top each muffin with a sprinkle of raw oats.
- Cook for ~25-30 min, depending on muffin size. Muffins are done when toothpick comes our clean.
- With these ratios, the batter is very thick. I might try a bit more apple sauce next time.
- I might also add more cherries next time.
- Apple sauce quality makes a big difference for muffin flavor.
- This version is not especially sweet. You can add more sugar if you’re looking for dessert rather than breakfast. :~)
- You can do some pre-mixing the night before if you want to bake these quickly in the morning, but don’t combine the wet and dry ingredients until ready to bake.
- Muffins freeze well.